Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dios de los Tres Reyes

Feliz Dia de Reyes!

In Mexico and other parts of Latin America, Three Kings Day is celebrated on January 6th. Ten days after baby Jesus was born (Dec 25th) It's tradition to buy a Rosca de Reyes and drink yummy hot chocolate along with it. The "rosca" has three babies hidden inside. Every year Yin buys a rosca to carry on the tradition. If you find a baby you have to throw a party with tamales and atole (yum!) on Feb 2nd which is "Dia del Candelario". This tradition we don't follow but we always have fun finding the babies! On a sad note, our Christmas season is now officially over. Tomorrow I begin the sad task of taking down all out Christmas decorations. Can't wait until Christmas 09'! Here are some picture I took this evening!












Nico found the first one!






Nico dunking his bread in his hot chocolate. Notice Junior with a long face...he was upset because he did not find a baby, so we gave him another slice and...


He found one!


Christian wanted some of the action too! He loved the powdered sugar heehee



If you would like more information about Rosca de Reyes check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosca_de_reyes



Photobucket

1 comment:

Karen said...

They had one of these cakes on the Today Show yesterday! I watched them cut it up to look for the babies and I remembered that your family does that!